Thursday, November 14, 2013

If a picture is worth a thousand words ... Eye Contact

Then why not make the effort to make eye contact?  You could say so much in that picture you take between you and another person.  When your eyes meet, and you get a surge of humanity that is voluminous, magnificent, in its innate closeness.  When you make eye contact, you do speak, and your inner voice has alot to say.  That picture is worth a thousand words, and its worth a memory.  And eye contact feels beneficial in most circumstances.  Its the story you want to listen to, the story that isn't made up of conversational words and wants and white lies.  Its more guttural, genuine, brilliant.  Take a secure look at someone's eyes and you have told them: I'm listening to you, I'm paying attention, I have the time for you, I am interested in you.  Eye contact has the capacity to comfort, to lead, to reconcile differences.  It begins with you believing that the other person is worthy of respect.  Its magnificent, and it can be very intense, that is something I love about it.  When you think of the thousand words that are exchanged in eye contact, you might even be at a loss for words.  When presenters make speeches, the good one's make eye contact with their audience.  By looking back, you are giving faith - you have my attention - you have my eyes.  My eyes are attuned to you, and my body is listening.  Its one thing to be facing in the direction of someone, and sometimes you are present, and sometimes the words are falling off as soon as they've left the mouth of the other person.  Eye contact helps keep you there, present, necessary to the process of exchanging ideas.  I find eye contact amazing, a mark of life between two people - real and alive, intimate.  Depending how you feel towards the other person, it might make you melt with love - the giver and object of love.

No comments:

Post a Comment