Sunday, December 9, 2012

The Infinite Sum of our Past Experiences

I've both decided and come to the conclusion that we are all, a near- infinite sum of our past experiences.  Our perception is related and simultaneously a reflection of our entire past.  What constitutes our past?  Socially, ethnically, culturally, vocationally, in each facet of life we weave through an existence that builds upon our past experiences.

For me, what emphasizes the point, of each person being unique and subject to and reflective of our past, is reviews.  Every review that was ever made has in question the author's background.  The same thing can be reviewed - a movie, book, article, and is subject to countless interpretations.  Even the basic feelings evoked can vary largely from person to person.  While one person's trash is another person's treasure, one person's 'boring' can be another person's muse, their inspiration. 

I love reading reviews because I like to learn how the piece in question has affected other people with a different background than me.  It teaches me about people's life experiences, because their reactions are the result of a formation of their beliefs.  Like when I listen to a classic song on youtube and browse the comments, the song will hit people in a multitude of places that I haven't felt.  And likewise, my reactions to things are different than other people's and unique.

But I think its interesting to imagine just what excessively complicated setup each person has to their life that causes them to react the way they do.  Its not just a matter of likes and dislikes.  Its a matter of appreciation, of openness, of things hitting your worldview and bouncing off, or things meshing together like bread on butter. 

For me, I see each person's comment on youtube as the exploration of a separate and unique existence inherent to all people.  What that person was brought up with and influenced by ultimately comes into play as they write their snippet of a comment on a youtube video.  Flame wars are yet another way to see each person's varying reactions and takes on a subject. 

I think its interesting that youtube allows for so much interaction in an anonymous scale.  You can write anything you like on a youtube video, post, or blog comment.  And I imagine that most people are honest in what they write, not writing from an alter ego.  The anonymous nature of the online allows me and everyone else the opportunity to be kindled by experiences of someone they've never even known. Its helpful to accurately realize that not everyone has the same worldview as you, otherwise all the comments written would just be your own voice talking.

No comments:

Post a Comment